Western English Language School
The Western English Language School (WELS), is a multicampus Victorian Government School providing high quality English as a Second Language (ESL) programs for primary and secondary aged students throughout Melbourne's west.
WELS provides a range of programs. These include Campus Programs - full time intensive programs at two main campuses (Tottenham/Braybrook and Footscray) as well as Outpost Programs and Visiting Outpost Programs of varying lengths provided at primary schools throughout Melbourne's west.
Eligible students are provided with teaching programs which focus on providing the English language skills and cultural understanding for students to participate successfully in Australian schooling systems and society.
Teachers at WELS are highly experienced ESL teachers who understand the diverse needs of newly arrived students. WELS places a strong emphasis on student welfare.
The school provides a supportive and nurturing environment and a range of services to assist students to adjust to life in a new country. In preparing students for participation in mainstream schooling and Australian society, WELS aims to:
- develop students' awareness and understanding of Australia as a multi-cultural society
- provide a comprehensive, challenging and culturally inclusive curriculum which fosters acceptance and understanding of other cultures and beliefs
- engender in students a sense of confidence, pride and self awareness
- treat students as individuals with their own needs, interests, abilities and aspirations
- nurture positive and supportive working relationships with all members of the school community including parents and guardians, local and ethnic communities, primary and secondary schools in the region and other ESL providers