The Greater Metropolitan Cemeteries Trust
The Greater Metropolitan Cemeteries Trust was established in March 2010 as a consequence of amendments to the Cemeteries and Crematoria Act 2003 (Vic), enabling the consolidation of eight existing cemetery trusts into one. These include locations in Melbourne’s west: Altona, Keilor, Melton, Truganina, Werribee and Williamstown.
Opened in January 1961, Altona Memorial Park provides burial and cremation services to the western metropolitan region of Melbourne. The park is beautifully landscaped, offering a floral lawn cemetery and extensive memorial gardens. Services and facilities available at Altona Memorial Park include burial, cremation, memorials, funeral venues and function facilities.
Keilor Cemetery opened in 1856, with the first burial taking place in April 1856. Back then it was the final resting place for pioneers of the growing colony and for those travelling to the gold-fields of Ballarat and Bendigo. There is a major initiative for the GMCT and will extend the capacity of Keilor Cemetery for approximately 10 years.
Serving the community since 1861, the Melton Public Cemetery is the only official cemetery to have existed in the City of Melton. A new public cemetery earmarked for Harkness Road in Melton West.
In 1865 Truganina cemetery was gazetted, the second district public cemetery. The land was originally part of the 128 acre property owned by William Doherty in 1858. Prior to the opening of the cemetery, Truganina residents were buried within enclosures on local farming properties. In addition to being the internment site of Truganina's early settlers, the cemetery is also the site of endangered plant species. Button Wrinklewort (Rutiodosis Leplorrhyncoides) is an endangered species that exists in few locations in Austraila. The cemetery also supports one of the best remaining examples of the original Kangaroo Grass (Themeda Triandra). The central section of the cemetery has been reserved for the preservation of these species.
The early history of the Werribee Cemetery is associated with the development of the Wyndham (now Werribee) township in the early 1860s after the establishment of the Wyndham District Road Board in 1862 and the creation of Wyndham Shire in March 1864. Land for a cemetery reserve at Wyndham was gazetted on 10 October 1864, some seven months after the creation of Wyndham Shire.
Williamstown Cemetery was opened in 1858 and is listed in the Register of the National Trust of Australia (Victoria). It provides a link to Melbourne's maritime history through its memorials to lives lost at sea and to those connected with maritime services.
For more information see: http://www.gmct.com.au/
Interested in LeadWest membership?
Any organisation with operations or interests that are based in Melbourne's west may apply for membership. There is a process set down in LeadWest's Constitution for approval of memberships by the Board of Directors.