Activities and Achievements in 2014-15 (Year 8)
Over the course to date of our eighth year
of operation LeadWest has continued completing
activities that contribute to achievement of goals set out in
Western Agenda Thread
|Thread 1 Education and Skills
Thread 2 Productive Economy
- Sponsoring a regional jobs and skills expo.
- Cooperating with the regional office of the Department of
Business and Innovation.
- Facilitating regular meetings of the region's economic
- Acting as a Small Business Victoria Host Organisation, working
with the region’s local governments to offer small business
seminars and workshops.
- Participating in efforts to foster the strategic rollout of a
network of business incubators across Melbourne’s west.
- Sponsoring the Powercor Melton Business
- Sponsoring Moonee Valley City Council's Gala Business
- Sponsoring the Wyndham Business Awards.
- Advocating for the Migrant Communities Employment Fund.
|Thread 3 Community Wellbeing
- Working with a range of health sector organisations
operating in Melbourne's west.
- Advocating for further required investment in hospitals run by
Western Health and Mercy Health.
- Advocating for further investment by governments in regional
efforts to prevent violence against women and children.
|Thread 4 Sustainable Liveability
- Lodging a submission on Plan Melbourne.
- Supporting continued implementation of the Werribee Plains
Regional Environmental Sustainability Framework.
- Promoting the Werribee River Biolink Action Plan.
- Participating in the Werribee Catchment Advisory Roundtables
facilitated by the Port Phillip and Westernport Catchment
- Advocating to secure funds for projects enhancing the
Maribyrnong River Valley.
- Co-funding development of a low carbon growth plan for
|Thread 5 Enabling Infrastructure
- Participating in the Western Transport Alliance and advocating
for projects listed in the Western
- Participating in the Regional Rail Link Project Community
- Participating in the Victorian Road Based Public Transport
Thread 6 Experience and Enjoyment
- Cooperating with a range of organisations from Melbourne's west
operating in the Arts and Culture sector.
- Supporting the SportWest
- Working closely with Western
Melbourne Tourism to create more opportunities for
visitors and promote more tourism in Melbourne's west.
Thread 7 Regional Leadership
- Welcoming South West Melbourne Medicare Local and Federation
University into membership of LeadWest.
- Promoting the Western Agenda.
- Maintaining LeadWest's website and effective use of social
- Participating in the Western Melbourne Regional Development
- Adjusting with a change of Federal Government.
- Meeting with Ministers, Shadow Ministers and other members of
the Australian Parliament and Victorian Parliament.
- Participating in Victorian Community Cabinets in Geelong and
- Leading a delegation of the Mayors of Melbourne's west to
Spring Street to meet with Ministers of the Victorian
- Meeting with Federal and State MPs representing electorates in
- Maintaining good relationships with senior public servants
leading the departments and agencies of the Australian Government
and Victorian Government.
- Hosting a Budget Briefing Breakfast at which Ministers of each
tier of government discussed their government's budget with
LeadWest's members and guests.
Positive results for Melbourne's west, influenced in part by
LeadWest's advocacy activities, included: