Activities and Achievements in 2012-13 (Year 6)
In our sixth year of operation LeadWest continued
completing activities that contribute to achievement of goals set
out in the Western
Western Agenda Thread
|Thread 1 Education and Skills
- Supporting LeadWest member Victoria
- Supporting LeadWest Affiliates: Western
Community & Education Centre Inc.. and YouthNow.
- Cooperating with Local
Learning and Employment Networks (LLENs) and participating
in the Commitee of Management for the WynBay LLEN.
- Funding a report on the impacts on Melbourne's west of the
Victorian Government's vocational education and training
- Participating in National Skills Week events.
- Helping to develop practical approaches to partnerships between
businesses in the building and construction sector and
organisations in the education sector.
- Sponsoring the Australian Community Learning Network
- Helping Moonee Valley City Council develop a learning
- Participating in the Adult Community and Further Education
(ACFE) Regional Council for Melbourne's north west.
Thread 2 Productive Economy
- Investing in an online
public-access economic profile of Melbourne's
west to assist in promoting our economy and
- Working with the Local Employment Coordinator for Melbourne's
- Sponsoring a regional jobs and skills expo.
- Working with the regional office of the Department of Business
- Working with the Industry Capability Network.
- Facilitating regular meetings of the region's economic
- Acting as a Small Business Victoria Host Organisation, working
with the region’s local governments to offer small business
seminars and workshops.
- Participating in efforts to foster the strategic rollout of a
network of business incubators across Melbourne’s west.
- Supporting Moonee Valley City Council's Gala Business
|Thread 3 Community Wellbeing
- Working with a range of health sector organisations
operating in Melbourne's west.
- Advocating for further required investment in Western Health's
- Providing a funding contribution to regional rollout
of Crime Stoppers Victoria “Say Something” campaign.
|Thread 4 Sustainable Liveability
- Supporting cimplementation of the Werribee Plains Regional
Environmental Sustainability Framework.
- Finalising the Werribee River Biolink Action Plan.
- Participating in the Werribee Catchment Advisory Roundtables
facilitated by the Port Phillip and Westernport Catchment
- Helping start a project to develop a low carbon
growth plan for Melbourne's west.
|Thread 5 Enabling Infrastructure
- Participating in the Western Transport Alliance and advocating
for projects listed in the Western
- Participating in the WestLink Project Community Reference
- Participating in the Victorian Road Based Public Transport
- Delivering a briefing to members on the Victorian Transport
- Lodging a submission on the WestLink project.
- Hosting an Infrastructure Australia luncheon.
- Arranging briefings on the NBN rollout for LeadWest
members and guests.
Thread 6 Experience and Enjoyment
Thread 7 Regional Leadership
- Hosting a Budget Briefing Breakfast.
- Participating in the Western Melbourne Regional
Development Australia Committee.
- Welcoming several organisations into membership of
LeadWest, including Western Water and WPC Group.
Positive results for Melbourne's west, influenced in part by
LeadWest's advocacy activities, included:
Australian Government investment of $14 million from the
Suburban Jobs Program for the Western Business Accelerator and
Centre for Excellence (Western BACE).
Australian Government investment of $2 million for the
Australian Ballet’s new state-of-the art production centre in
Victorian Government announcement of the draft Precinct
Structure Plan for the East Werribee Employment Precinct, which
will pave the way for a major new business and employment centre in
Securing a headspace centre for Werribee.
Victorian Government investment of $750,000 for redevelopment of
the Braybrook Community Centre.
Victorian Government investment under the Community
Support Grants program of $500,000 towards the Errington
Community Centre– New Building project.
Victorian Government commitment of $49.7 million to progress the
planning and development of the Melbourne Metro rail project.
Victorian Government commitment of $15 million to deliver the
business case for the East West Link.
Victorian Government commitment of additional maintenance
funding for the West Gate bridge.