Activities and Achievements in 2011-12 (Year 5)
In our fifth year of operation LeadWest continued
completing activities that contribute to achievement of goals set
out in the Western
Western Agenda Thread
|Thread 1 Education and Skills
- Cooperating with Local
Learning and Employment Networks (LLENs) and participating
in the Commitee of Management for the WynBay LLEN.
- Participating in the Adult
Community and Further Education (ACFE) Regional Council for
Melbourne's north west.
- Supporting Western Chances.
- Sponsoring Victoria University's Training Awards.
- Assisting Beacon Foundation with rollout in the region of the
Real Futures Generation initiative.
- Sponsoring the attendance of young women at the Strongest
Link Luncheon arranged by Victoria University’s Institute
for Supply Chain and Logistics.
- Sponsoring YouthNow's Employer Champion Awards.
- Participating in National Skills Week events.
- Sponsoring the Western Metropolitan Region Industry and
Thread 2 Productive Economy
- Co-funding creation of a Industry and Jobs Strategy for
- Working with the Local Employment Coordinator for Melbourne's
- Sponsoring a regional jobs and skills expo.
- Working with the Industry Capability Network.
- Facilitating regular meetings of the region's economic
- Acting as a Small Business Victoria Host Organisation, working
with the region’s local governments to offer small business
seminars and workshops.
- Sponsoring an Economic Development Australia conference.
- Lodging a submission on small business.
- Participating in development of a regional network of business
- Discussing the region's needs with the Australian Industry
Group and VECCI.
- Supporting Moonee Valley City Council's Gala Business
- Sponsoring Wyndham City Council's Business Awards.
- Sponsoring the 2012 Powercor Melton Business Awards.
|Thread 3 Community Wellbeing
- Working with a range of health sector organisations
operating in Melbourne's west to produce the Better Health Plan for
- Assisting with the establishment of Medicare Locals in
- Advocating for further required investment in Western Health's
- Participating in the Project Reference Group for the Community
Health Screening Project initiated by Western Melbourne RDA
- Helping to scope a suitable health service planning model for
implementation across Melbourne’s north-west.
- Support Tweedle Child and Family Health Service.
- Supporting Western Region Health Service.
- Supporting Youth Junction Inc.
- Participating in the Committee for Melbourne's Social Inclusion
- Participating in the Brimbank Social Justice
|Thread 4 Sustainable Liveability
- Managing the Werribee River Biolink Action Plan.
- Participating in meetings of the Planning Directors of
local governments in Melbourne's west.
- Participating in forum to workshop the vision for Wyndham.
- Sponsoring the Wyndham Sustainability Festival.
- Forging a relationship with the Port Phillip and Westernport
Catchment Management Authority.
- Assisting with development of the Greening the West
- Helping Parks Victoria plan for open space in Melbourne's
- Advocating to secure funds for projects enhancing the
Maribyrnong River Valley.
- Meeting with the Federal Parliamentary Secretary for
Climate Change and Energy Efficiency.
- Exploring the potential of a low carbon growth plan for
- Lodging a submission responding to the Outer Suburban/Interface
Services and Development Committee of the Victorian
|Thread 5 Enabling Infrastructure
- Participating in the Western Transport Alliance and joint
funding of the creation of the
Western Transport Strategy.
- Participating in the Regional Rail Link Project Community
- Participating in the Victorian Road Based Public Transport
- Advocating for timely delivery of a strategic second
east–west road crossing over the Maribyrnong/Yarra River.
- Advocating for solutions to address the issue of heavy truck
traffic in the inner west.
- Supporting the West Gate Ramps Coalition.
- Lodging a submission to Infrastructure Australia on the
transport priorities for Melbourne’s west.
Thread 6 Experience and Enjoyment
- Assisting organisers of the Big West Festival.
- Supporting the Footscray Community Arts Centre.
- Supporting the SportWest
- Working with
Western Melbourne Tourism.
Thread 7 Regional Leadership
- Renewing the Western Agenda.
- Meeting with Ministers, Shadow Ministers and other members of
the Australian Parliament and Victorian Parliament.
- Forging good relationships with senior public servants leading
the departments and agencies of the Australian Government and
- Hosting a second Strategic Forum for Melbourne's west.
- Hosting a Budget Briefing Breakfast.
- Participating in the Western Melbourne Regional
Development Australia Committee.
- Redeveloping LeadWest's website and commencing use of social
- Welcoming several organisations into membership of
LeadWest, including .
Positive results for Melbourne's west, influenced in part by
LeadWest's advocacy activities, included:
Australian Government commitment of $23 million through the
Structural Adjustment Fund for Victoria University to enhance
its health education facilities.
Australian Government commitment of $150,000 for the Sustainable
Employment and Economic Development (SEED) youth project.
Victoria Government commitment to removal of the level crossings
at Mains Rd East and Main Rd West, St Albans.
Production of the Werribee River Biolink Action Plan.
Victorian Minister for Planning agreement to conduct a
major precinct planning review of the Brooklyn Industrial
Melton being selected as one of the sites for the next stage of
the high-speed National Broadband Network (NBN).
An Australian Government Community Cabinet Meeting in