Activities and Achievements in 2009-10 (Year 3)
In our third year of operation LeadWest continued
completing activities that contribute to achievement of goals set
out in the Western
Western Agenda Thread
|Thread 1 Education and Skills
- Cooperating with
Local Learning and Employment Networks (LLENs) and joining the
Commitee of Management for the WynBay LLEN.
- Hosting the Western Region Education and Skills Forum.
- Supporting Western
- Supporting applications from the region for Trades Training
- Promoting the Australian Government's Kickstart Bonus
- Assisting Victoria
University in its effort to have Skills Victoria review
legislation impacting delivery of higher education.
- Sponsoring Victoria University's Training Awards.
- Speaking out about violence against international
- Contributing to creation of Brimbank's Learning Strategy.
Thread 2 Productive Economy
- Supporting a bid by Essendon Fields to
become the home of the proposed Victorian Aviation Academy.
- Participating in the Keep Australia Working Committee and
assisting the Local Employment Coordinator appointed by the
- Sponsoring the Energise Enterprise program and serving as the
host organisation for Small Business Victoria workshops.
- Sponsoring the Melton Business Excellence Awards.
- Sponsoring the Economic Development Australia Victoria Division
- Addressing the Economic Development Australia Mid Year
- Participating in the Australian Government's Trade and
- Participating in the Western Region Economic Development
|Thread 3 Community Wellbeing
- Working with a range of health sector organisations operating
in Melbourne's west.
- Advocating for further required investment in Western Health's
- Supporting the Australian Community Centre for Diabetes at
- Assisting with the Western Region Social Inclusion
|Thread 4 Sustainable Liveability
- Lodging a submission on the Victorian Government's draft review
of the urban growth boundary.
- Participating in a review of the Vision for Werribee Plains
- Participating in a forum on climate change hosted by the
Committee for Melbourne.
|Thread 5 Enabling Infrastructure
- Participating in the Western Transport Alliance.
- Participating in the WestLink Project Community Reference
- Participating in the Victorian Road Based Public Transport
- Supporting Victoria's bid to provide the headquarters for NBN
- Lodging a submission on Intermodal Terminals.
Thread 6 Experience and Enjoyment
- Cooperating with a range of organisations from
Melbourne's west operating in the Arts and Culture
- Supporting the SportWest
- Working with
Western Melbourne Tourism to create more
opportunities for visitors and promote more tourism in
Thread 7 Regional Leadership
- Welcoming several organisations into membership of LeadWest,
including Avalon Airport and Essendon Fields, Bendigo Bank, Cedar
Woods, Citipower and Powercor, the GPT Group (Highpoint Shopping
Centre), Olex, Telstra, WPC Group and Western Water.
- Participating in the Western Melbourne Regional Development
- Forming a cooperative relationship with the Committee for
Wyndham, the Committee for Melbourne and the G21 Alliance.
- Hosting a Budget Briefing Breakfast at which Ministers of
each tier of government discussed their government's budget with
LeadWest's members and guests.
- Hosting the inaugural Strategic Forum for Melbourne's
- Meeting with Ministers of the Australian Government and the
- Meeting with all MPs representing electorates in Melbourne's
- Leading a delegation to Canberra, taking the Mayors of
Melbourne's west to meetings with Ministers and their staff.
Positive results for Melbourne's west, influenced in part by
LeadWest's advocacy activities, included:
Australian Government designation of Melbourne's north west as a
Priority Employment Area.
Victoria Government commitment of $90 million for Sunshine
Hospital to build an acute hospital block with 158 additional beds
and a 26 cot special care nursery.
Victorian Government commitment of $10 million for a planning
study progressing the Westlink project, a major road tunnel to link
the Port of Melbourne to the Western Ring Road.
- Commencement of work on the
Regional Rail Link project.