LeadWest was formed in November 2007 by five councils in Melbourne's west (Brimbank, Maribyrnong, Melton, Moonee Valley and Wyndham).
Following an establishment phase of appointing a Chief Executive Officer and securing an appropriate office, LeadWest was formally launched in March 2008.
Our 2007 & 2008 Activities Chronicle (PDF) provides a detailed listing of LeadWest's achievements in its first 15 months.
Our 2009 Activities Chronical (PDF) provides a detailed listing of all achievements in 2009. Examples include:
- Advancing Thread 1 Education and Skills by bringing together education and training sector stakeholders for a Western Region Education & Skills Conference which was addressed by the Federal Education Minister, the Hon. Julia Gillard, the Victorian Education Minister, the Hon. Bronywn Pike, the Vice Chancellor of Victoria University, Professor Elizabeth Harman and others.
- Furthering Thread 2 Productive Economy by actively advocating for the west of Melbourne to be included as a region to be accorded status as a new Priority Employment Area.
- Progressing Thread 3 Community Wellbeing by forming a partnership with HealthWest in order to take a coordinated approach to addressing the signficant health challenges faced by residents of Melbourne's west.
- Promoting a positive image of Melbourne's West through a special weekend feature supplement in The Age newspaper to advance Agenda 4 Sustainable Liveability.
- Influencing a variety of major road and rail infrastructure projects in line with Thread 5 Enabling Infrastructure.
- Producing a stylised regional map to progress Thread 6 Experience and Enjoyment
- Achieving Thread 7 Regional Leadership by attracting several
organisations to join LeadWest as Corporate Members.
LeadWest also achieved much over the course of 2010. Our 2010 Activities Chronical (PDF) provides a detailed listing of all achievements. Highlights include:
- Taking a delegation to Canberra to meet with Ministers and MPs and successfully advocate for assistance with addressing some of the needs of Melbourne's west.
- Hosting a local visit by high profile MPs from Melbourne's west: the Prime Minister the Hon. Julia Gillard (Member for Lalor); Minister for Health and Ageing the Hon. Nicola Roxon (Member for Gellibrand); Minister for Home Affairs the Hon. Brendan O'Connor (Member for Gorton); and Assistant Treasurer and Minister for Financial Services and Superannuation the Hon. Bill Shorton (Member for Maribyrnong).
- Hosting another successful Federal and State Budget Breakfast Briefing attended by over 100 stakeholders in the future of Melbourne's west.
- Implementing the Vision for Werribee Plains to advance environmental sustainability in Melbourne's west.
- Working constructively with the Melbourne West Metropolitan Regional Development Australia Board.
- Supporting and advancing the SportsWest initiative.
- Exercising influence on the planning of various transport initiatives, such as the Regional Rail Link and WestLink projects.
- Facilitating National Broadband Network rollout readiness amongst the councils of Melbourne's west.
|Dec 31, 2010||2010 Activities||830.71 KB|
|Dec 31, 2009||2009 Activities||387.62 KB|
|Dec 31, 2008||2007 and 2008 Activities||370.68 KB|